LOADING

Type to search

Latest Reports

Piedmont Park has to cancel 2011 Screen on the Green

Maria Saporta

By Maria Saporta

The Piedmont Park Conservancy just announced that it is canceling the 2011 season of “Screen on the Green.”

The film series had to be canceled because the conservancy was unable to find a partner to produce the event after the management of Peachtree TV — its former sponsor — had changed. Turner Broadcasting System had provided the funding for the Peachtree TV sponsorship.

Peachtree TV had informed the conservancy in January that it would no longer produce the popular free open air film series, and the conservancy had been trying to find other sponsors.

But the announcement stated that the conservancy had just run out of time to put on the series this year. Usually, the weekly movie series takes place in June.

The conservancy did say it still holds the permit for an annual summer film festival, and it remains committed to finding the necessary funding to host the Screen on the Green in 2012.

“It is our desire to continue the tradition of kicking off every summer with great movies in this great park,” said Yvette Bowden, President and CEO of the Piedmont Park Conservancy, in the release.

“As one of our many free community-building initiatives, we have treasured our first 10 years of movies on Piedmont Park’s Meadow,” she added. “This year’s event, however, (given) the timing of Turner’s announcement, left us with too little time to secure sufficient sponsors to support it and, as such, must be cancelled.”

Piedmont Park launched the first Screen on the Green in 2000, and it has become one of the most popular outdoor movie experiences in Atlanta. But in 2010, at one of the evening’s films, the crowd became extremely rowdy and the surrounding neighborhoods insisted on greater security for the event.

Maria Saporta
Maria Saporta

Maria Saporta, Editor, is a longtime Atlanta business, civic and urban affairs journalist with a deep knowledge of our city, our region and state.  Since 2008, she has written a weekly column and news stories for the Atlanta Business Chronicle. Prior to that, she spent 27 years with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, becoming its business columnist in 1991. Maria received her Master’s degree in urban studies from Georgia State and her Bachelor’s degree in journalism from Boston University. Maria was born in Atlanta to European parents and has two young adult children.

    1

5 Comments

  1. Avatar
    kat May 10, 2011 5:15 pm

    Sad! They had already published the lineup, and said they just didn’t have a sponsor this year. Why would they have published it if the lack of sponsorship was a concern?Report

    Reply
  2. Avatar
    JG May 10, 2011 8:02 pm

    Too bad the little thugs messed up this event, like they are destroying the city.Report

    Reply
  3. Avatar
    anonymous May 10, 2011 9:40 pm

    A timely opportunity for Southwest Airlines to burst onto the scene?Report

    Reply
  4. Avatar
    RH May 15, 2011 10:16 am

    JG, I TOTALLY agree with your comment, and the same goes for how the little thugs are killing the Atlantic Station experience as well. Ugh! Does anyone know the fate of Flicks on Fifth? Is that still going on?Report

    Reply
  5. Avatar
    kyle May 16, 2011 3:45 pm

    once again people like to use the word “thug”..which we know is a code word for..Report

    Reply

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.