Planning Now for Year-end Giving
By Charles Redding, MedShare CEO & President
It’s hard to believe that 2020 is here and it is time to start planning for yearend 2020! I am sure we all celebrated with friends and family over the holidays, but it is now time to start planning for the New Year and consider the nonprofits you would like to support. We often forget about the importance of planning for year-end gifts. I want you to know that your gifts, whether they’re large or small, are vital to the organizations you support. Your generosity at yearend helps nonprofits to start the New Year off right!
Take MedShare, for instance. In 2020 we’ll be expanding our Safe Birth Initiative to Côte d’Ivoire and Senegal. The Safe Birth Initiative continues our efforts to increase the life expectancy, as well as to improve the quality of life, of mothers and newborns in medically underserved communities.
We will also continue on our journey to ship 100,000 Clean Birthing Kits (CBK’s) to communities where birth often takes place outside of the medical facility. These kits contain necessary items for a healthy birth for both mother and child. MedShare has provided over 20,000 CBK’s since launching our 2 Million Mother’s Campaign in 2015, to address the fact that every year roughly 2 million new moms watch their newborns die on their first day of life due to preventable causes. According to the World Health Organization, 98% of maternal deaths are preventable. Yet, every two minutes a woman dies from treatable causes related to pregnancy and childbirth. And nearly 3 million of all the babies who die each year could be saved by low-cost care.
In addition to our Maternal Child Health initiatives, we will continue to provide lifesaving supplies, equipment and training to strengthen health systems in marginalized communities. This includes support to local Safety-net Clinics in the U.S. that provide quality healthcare to uninsured or underinsured residents. Many of these patients are homeless, but many just cannot afford the rising cost of healthcare.
Each gift you make will touch the lives of the patients, medical professionals, and families we serve. Thoughtfully consider your plans for giving this year. Think about what you’d like to give, how you’d like to give, and when you’d like to give. In doing so, you can ensure the greatest impact for you and the organizations you support! Here are some helpful tips to maximize your impact:
- Save all gift receipts and acknowledgment letters for tax purposes.
- Complete your giving before midnight December 31, 2020, in order to make your charitable contributions tax deductible for 2020.
- Gifts of stock that have increased in value may provide greater tax savings than giving cash.
- Required Minimum Distributions (RMD). If you are over 70½ and own a Traditional IRA account, you must take your RMD prior to 12/31. If you inherited an IRA, you may be required to take a distribution even if you are younger than 70½.
- An IRA Charitable Rollover allows individuals over 70½ to donate up to $100,000 directly from their Individual Retirement Account (IRA), without treating the distribution as taxable income.
- Putting MedShare in your will or estate plans is a simple way to give! Contact our team at email@example.com to learn more.
- Please consult your tax advisor.
Begin your year by being a part of the kind of good you want to see in the world – the people you serve will thank you! We at MedShare THANK YOU!
Support MedShare’s mission at https://impact.medshare.org/medshare.