Fall has officially arrived in Downtown Atlanta, which means it’s time for cooler temperatures and the return of the Biketober – Atlanta Bike Challenge. Biketober is a fun and free competition to encourage metro Atlantans to experience the joys and benefits of riding a bike.
To provide some inspiration to get pedaling, here’s a round-up of the top five ways to enjoy Downtown on two wheels during Biketober.
- Try a clean commute: With many offices starting to reopen but traffic still at reduced levels, now is a perfect time to give bike commuting a try. If you need a refresher on city cycling, Atlanta Bicycle Coalition offers free virtual classes.
- Take in the street art: Atlanta is a well-known hotspot for murals and the city now boasts more than 1,000! Downtown has 80 murals, including the iconic John Lewis mural on Auburn Ave. and the famous South Downtown alligator. Why not participate in Biketober by enjoying a self-guided Downtown Bike Mural Tour? We’ve put together a bike tour with turn-by-turn instructions so you can check them out for yourself. Pick one loop or combine the two to start exploring! Both routes kick off near the Five Points MARTA station on Marietta Street for easy access by any mode.
North Loop: 4.3 miles, 24+ murals
South Loop: 3.2 miles, 38+ murals
- Be a tourist: Downtown’s numerous businesses and attractions are up and running with new protocols to keep visitors safe. There’s plenty of nearby bike parking, so check out our event calendar and plan your visit.
- Take the scenic route: More ambitious cyclists can follow the Stone Mountain Trail from its starting point Downtown near Centennial Olympic Park for nineteen miles all the way to Stone Mountain. If you’re looking for a fun way to rack up miles, this is definitely it.
- Before you kick off your Halloween festivities, ride to our bike-in screening of “The Wizard of Oz” in Woodruff Park on October 28 at 7pm. The event is free to attend and will feature popcorn and a costume contest. Click your heels together three times, snap on your helmet, and enjoy an evening with family, friends, and neighbors!
Even if you cannot make it Downtown, there are still plenty of reasons to participate in Biketober! Biking can improve your health, boost your wellbeing, save you money, and keep you connected to coworkers, friends, and family. Plus, there are fantastic prizes up for grabs.
So whether you visit us Downtown or just take a spin around the block, we hope you’ll join us in celebrating Biketober.
Bicycling is a good way to take care of your mind and body. And taking part in Biketober is a great way to have some fun while doing so. Georgia Commute Options is excited to organize another year of the region’s favorite bike challenge. Grab your friends, family and colleagues and head outside to get your blood pumping and positive vibes flowing. Register with your workplace and ride anytime, anywhere, during the month of October to earn chances to win prizes! Register for the bike challenge today!