The Beltline is headed to Buckhead after Mayor Andre Dickens and Atlanta Beltline, Inc. announced a key land acquisition and groundbreaking on a segment of the Northwest trail.
Atlanta Beltline, Inc. acquired the shuttered Elleven 45 Lounge as part of its expansion, repurposing the “nuisance” property after it was shuttered by a judge in the wake of a mass shooting that killed two and injured four others inside.
Dickens also called the lounge a nuisance at the Nov. 7 press conference. He said the acquisition of the building and surrounding land will allow the Beltline to create a “two-for-one trail experience.”
The roughly one-acre property frees up three parcels of land needed to build Segment 2 of the Northwest Trail. It’s one of the few portions where Atlanta Beltline, Inc. needs to buy land to connect the loop.
“This property purchase brings the Beltline closer to realizing its vision of a fully connected, accessible and vibrant infrastructure, further enhancing the economic, recreational and environmental benefits for Atlanta’s residents and visitors,” Higgs said.
At a Nov. 7 press conference, Mayor Dickens and Atlanta Beltline, Inc. President & CEO Clyde Higgs announced the first expansion into the Peachtree Creek area. Crews broke ground on Segment 1 of the Northwest Trail on Oct. 31.
The 0.8-mile trail segment will start at Peachtree Park Drive and cross over the creek via suspension bridge before ending at the Kinsey Court cul-de-sac. Building will continue with Segment 2 and meet with construction already underway in Segment 3 and 5.

Atlanta Beltline started building the Northwest trail earlier this year with Segment 5 at Marietta Boulevard. But the Buckhead area is one of the only planned trail sections without an existing rail right of way to build off of.
“This is the only segment that does not have existing rail for us to pull up and build the Beltline, so it is technically challenging,” Higgs said.
The land acquisition and groundbreaking mark key steps in completing the Northwest Trail.
Once finished, it will run 4.3 miles from West Marietta Street and Huff Road to the Lindbergh MARTA station.
“The Beltline is crucial in our mission to create safe, healthy and connected neighborhoods across Atlanta, and it’s one of the nation’s most transformative infrastructure projects, supporting economic, social and recreational needs for our residents and visitors,” Dickens said.
Mayor Dickens said the 22-mile Beltline loop is still on track for completion in 2030, and the city aims to have 16.3 miles complete in time for the city to host eight FIFA World Cup matches in 2026.
“The Atlanta Beltline is going to be 85 percent completed or under construction by the end of this year,” Dickens said.

That’s good news!
we need the beltline in buckhead like we need marta north of atlanta. never mind – trashed already (let trump decide).