Atlanta Beltline, Inc. and Invest Atlanta approved a $242 million budget for Fiscal Year 2026 on June 18, the largest in the organization’s history.
It’s a 20 percent increase from last year’s record-breaking $172 million budget. But the hefty fund is set to pay for some major work on the 22-mile trail project and its surrounding initiatives — even as the fate of some federal funding sources is unclear.
“When I first joined the Beltline, our annual budget was $33 million,” Beltline CEO and President Clyde Higgs said. “Let that sink in; now we’re at almost a quarter billion.”
The CEO announced plans to have 17 miles of continuous trail open by this time next year in time for thousands to flood Atlanta for the FIFA World Cup. Higgs said people will be able to journey from Piedmont Park in Midtown to Shirley Clarke Franklin Park on the Westside.
It’s a big step towards completing the 22-mile trail. It’s also an expensive one.
“We’re in the throes of heavy spending years,” Higgs said.
About 40 percent of the budget, or $99 million, will go towards design and construction for trail expansion and improvements. It will help build the path into the Northwest corridor, where there is no abandoned rail right of way to lay the path on.
Beltline leaders reassured the organization’s balanced budget would pay for the expensive projects. The majority of the costs will be paid for through the Beltline Tax Allocation District. $183.5 million, or 75 percent of the funds, will come from the local source.
Other funding will come through the Beltline Special Services District and philanthropy. But an 11 percent chunk of the funding comes from $26 million in grants. The organization lost a $9 million “digital equity” grant to bring Wi-Fi to the Beltline in May after the Trump administration cut the initiative. It set off alarms about other federal funding sources that could get cut by the new administration’s changing priorities.
Another $25 million Department of Transportation grant integral to building out the Northeast Trail segment is also in limbo. Currently, Beltline leaders are “hopeful” the Department of Transportation will execute the agreement.
A Beltline representative told SaportaReport that most of the grant spending in the FY 2026 budget is designated for the Southside Trail, Enota Park redevelopment and Ponce streetscape work — not the Northeast trail expansion grant.
If the grant comes through, the Beltline will stay on track to complete 17 miles of trail by next year. Design Director Kevin Burke said the so-called “smile” will be complete.
About 40 percent of the budget, or roughly $99 million, will go towards design and construction. It will fund the expansion into the Northwest trail segments that lack a railroad corridor on which to lay the trail. Previously, organization leaders have called the expansion “technically challenging.”
$56.3 million will go towards real estate acquisitions to help build out the trail. The Beltline aims to buy out several major parcels along the Northwest Trail, especially.
Another $40.6 million will go to affordable housing and commercial space. The Beltline is working to preserve or create 5,600 units of affordable housing by 2030. In 2024, the organization delivered 569 units and reached 74 percent of its 2030 goal. Higgs said the Beltline was likely to exceed its affordable housing goals.
A small $8.8 million chunk of funds will be set aside for transit. In March, Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens slashed plans for Beltline rail on the Eastside Trail in favor of transit on the Southside trail near Murphy Crossing.
“It’s going to take some time and energy to deliver, no doubt, but we intend to shape this effort with our bent towards excellence,” Beltline Principal Engineer Shaun Green said. “But please understand that we do not yet have all the answers.”
The Beltline is in the early stages of planning for rail on the Southside trail. In the meantime, more funds will go towards “experiments” like driverless shuttles to connect the Southwest Trail to MARTA and the Atlanta University Center.
Autonomous shuttle company Beep will helm the project alongside Atlanta Beltline, Inc. in a 12-month pilot program of four driverless vehicles to move people towards the Beltline. The Atlanta Transit Link Authority recently gave $2 million to the project.
2026 is a packed calendar for the Beltline, with plans for events, economic development and expansion. Mayor Dickens said it’s a major shift from how he saw the Beltline when he was elected to Atlanta City Council in 2014.
“I wasn’t sure the Beltline was ever going to finish, and look at it now,” Dickens said.

The picture illustrates the problem with the Beltline. Bikes and pedestrians shouldn’t be on the same trail. You have room for a second line of cement right next to the East Side Trail. Designate it for bikes or e-bikes, with a 15 mph speed limit. It’s the “third path” that the Netherlands, whom we claim to be emulating here, installed decades ago with their fietspad network. Commit to it before some kid gets killed by a fat tire bike running at 25. https://danablankenhorn.com/2025/06/speed-limits-and-e-transport.html